I'd like to try and share some of my recent vacation here, but since I'm pretty sure you guys would fade out at neverending paragraphs about museums and cobblestone streets, I'll try to make it more reader friendly.
1. I went to four countries: Switzerland, Italy, Hungary and Austria. I don't normally like to split my time up between so many places, but I only spent about 24 hours in Italy and Austria.
2. I've realized in the last years that I take fewer and fewer risks. I know some of you might think that's on the side of bogus, but it's true. So, I spent a hefty roll of US presidents and went paragliding in Switzerland. I figured there wouldn't be many places prettier on earth to do it. The ride was spectacular, so beautiful, and way more relaxing than I thought it would be.
3. While walking down an empty street in Vienna, which happened to be cobblestone, I saw a car with a rose laying across the windshield. I didn't think much about it, but then the owner of the car walked out and was suprised to see said rose laying on the windshield. Surprised is wrong, perhaps clueless is more like it. So of course he looks at me and thinks that I'm the stalker that put it there! Hilarious!
4. Hungary makes these really yummy cream cheese chocolate cannoli type things. Amazing.
5. I spent time learning about Communism in Hungary. I've never wanted to lean right so much in my life after that. I normally don't discuss my political opinions in a venue such as this, and realize that a political ideology isn't the answer to any of life's ultimate questions. Nevertheless, learning about people who didn't have a say over when they heated their homes, or even with whom they lived, and walking through cells used to torture people who were turned in from anything from disagreing with 'the cause' to their neighbors simply wanting their food rations definitely left an impact on me.
6. Vienna might be my all time favorite city. I loved just sitting in the grass at the palace parks in Vienna. I can't believe that people get to chill in front of such architectual beauty. I couldn't afford much in Vienna. I ate a brothy soup for dinner because it was the cheapest thing on the menu. It's ok, the city was so beautiful it was worth it.
7. Switzerland makes the world's best chocolate. Ragusa is the best of the best.
8. I saw the movie Australia and the next day met an Australian! I never meet Australians! This Australian, however had not seen the movie.
9. I still feel like Europe is somehow under my skin. I would love to live there again someday. Scotland is still my favorite place in Europe.
10. I got on a train with no seat reservation (but had a ticket) and had to sit in the food car the whole time.
11. It took a few days for the beauty of Switzerland to sink in. I just couldn't wrap my mind around all those mountains. Finally, I went out by myself to look at the mountains, and asked God to help me to see what was in front of me. Only then did I truly start to see the beauty. It's like God was waiting for me to share it with Him. I'll never forget those moments alone with Him.