Thursday, November 8, 2007

Community

I love community. I don't just love community, I recognize that I need it, that we all need it. I miss my community from back in the States. Close honest relationships take time to build. I miss those who gave me that time, and allowed me to share my life with them. But, I am so thankful for the new community here. His provision of new community is a gift which I can't help but thank Him for many times over.

Blogs are interesting inventions of our day. Email and mobility created a society which generated large amounts of long distances friendships and even acquaintances. But, we tire of communicating the same update in individual emails and hate insulting people with too many mass emails, so we created blogs. Blogs invite an opportunity to keep in touch without having to keep in touch. We can know how our friends are doing without emailing them or talking to them, let alone sitting down with them and a cup of coffee and sharing life with them. Overall I like blogs, but I don't want to use mine as a replacement for relationships which require greater maintenance than posting or reading a few paragraphs. So friends, I commit to keep in touch with you. Please call me out if I don't, and let me hear from you personally as well. And come have coffee with me here--my treat.